Take the Housing Element Survey
The City of Modesto has begun the process of amending its General Plan to update the Housing Element. A key part of this process is the Housing Element Survey.
- Now through September 2023
- Less than 10 minutes to complete
Please take the survey. Your input is important and will help identify Housing, Safety and Environmental Justice needs, issues and actions.
Subscribe to the Housing Element Update Email List
Subscribe to the Housing Element Update NewsFlash service to receive timely news and information.
Comments and Questions
We want to hear from you. Please send comments and questions to Housing Element Update
Housing Element Documents
The Housing Element is one of nine state-required parts or "elements" of a city’s general plan. The Housing Element is a policy document that describes how the City will address the housing needs of its residents. It contains housing goals, policies, programs, and resources that will help to develop, maintain and improve housing in Modesto.
The City of Modesto is pleased to announce that a first draft of the 2023-2031 Housing Element has been submitted to the California Department of Housing and Community Development for review.
Mixed-Use Rezoning and Planned Development Amendments
In order to implement the Housing Element, the City of Modesto has proposed the creation of two new Mixed-Use Zones, rezoning key commercial corridors along McHenry Avenue, Sisk Road, Oakdale Road, and Yosemite Boulevard, and amending Planned Developments in those corridors to allow multi-family residential uses. For more information, review the slides from the PowerPoint presentation presented at the public engagement workshops on August 30 and 31, 2023 below. The Environmental review for these actions is linked below the presentation.
August 30, 2023
A public Zoom workshop will be held from 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM Pacific Time to consider rezoning of commercial properties along Oakdale Road and Yosemite Avenue to allow new Mixed-Use zoning designations, and properties currently zoned PD to allow R-3 zoning.
Join Zoom Meeting Meeting ID: 827 5239 6091 One tap mobile +16699009128,,82752396091# US (San Jose) 16694449171,,82752396091# US
August 31, 2023
A public Zoom workshop will be held from 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM Pacific Time to consider amendment of Title X of the Modesto Muncipal Code to create new Mixed-Use zones and to rezone certain areas along McHenry Avenue and Sisk Road to new mixed-use zoning designations or allow R-3 zoning in existing PD zone areas.
Join Zoom Meeting Meeting ID: 869 1020 1284 One tap mobile +16694449171,,86910201284# US +16699009128,,86910201284# US (San Jose)
Jul 12, 2023, 06:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Topic: Modesto Housing Element Update Workshop #2
- Cover Page and Supporting Documents (PDF)
- Table of Contents (PDF)
- Chapter 1 Introduction to the Housing Element (PDF)
- Chapter 2 - Housing Needs Assessment (PDF)
- Chapter 3-Constraints (PDF)
- Chapter 4-Resources (PDF)
- Chapter 5-Assessment of Past Housing Element (PDF)
- Chapter 6-Housing Plan (PDF)
- Appendix A: Infill Examples in the R-2 and R-3 Zones (PDF)
- Appendix B: Examples of Denser Development on Smaller Lots (PDF)
- Appendix C: Rental Prices and Affordability Levels of Multiple-Unit Properties (PDF)
- Appendix D: Affordable Housing Funded or Entitled Since 2009 (PDF)
- Appendix E: Interested Parties (PDF)
- Appendix F: Comments on the Housing Element Update (PDF)
- Appendix G: Vacant and Underdeveloped R-1 Sites (PDF)
- Appendix H: Vacant and Underutilized R-2 Sites (PDF)
- Appendix I: Vacant and Underutilized R-3 Sites (PDF)
- Appendix J: Specific Plan Developable Acreage (PDF)
- Appendix K: Sample Vacant and Underutilized Downtown Sites (PDF)