César E. Chavez Park Renovation Project
César E. Chavez Neighborhood Park, 619 Sierra Drive, Modesto
Project Status and Updates
This Project is currently in the Planning and Design Phase. Construction activity is anticipated to begin in Spring 2024. The park is currently open for public use.
In 2018, California voters passed the California Drought, Water, Parks, Climate, Coastal Protection, and Outdoor Access for All Act of 2018 (Proposition 68), which directed $254.9 million to State Parks for competitive grants to create new parks and enhance recreational opportunities for all Californians. This is the state’s largest investment in grant funding history targeted for underserved communities. The bond also provides funds for aging infrastructure, amenities and improvements to parks that will help attract new and diverse visitors.
This is a State of California, Statewide Park Development and Community Revitalization Program and City of Modesto Parks, Recreation and Neighborhoods Department Project. The Project is being constructed at César E. Chavez Park per the requirements of the grant funding guidelines, funding is not transferable to other project sites.
The Project goal is to significantly increase recreational opportunity for the residents of the local community and beyond.
- New lighted splash park, aquatics center with pool
- New recreational multi-purpose rooms at Maddux Youth Center
- New stormwater treatment and storage systems, reduced flooding
- New vandal-resistant restroom building
- New lighted picnic pavilion, with BBQ
- New lighted basketball court
- New lighted skate plaza
- New exercise fitness areas
- New non-lighted youth soccer field
- New outdoor community events space
- New concrete circulation walking paths
- New park area lighting improvements and security camera systems
- New park benches, tables and drinking fountain
- New irrigation and renovated turf grass
- New water-efficient landscape planter areas
- New tree plantings throughout park
- State of California, Statewide Park Development and Community Revitalization Program (Proposition 68)
- Local Park Funds
In the News
- Modesto Bee – “Modesto to transform Cesar Chavez Park”, 02/26/20
- ABC 10 News – New water splash park heading to Modesto, 02/26/20
- CBS 13 News – “$8.5 Million Grant To Give Modesto’s Cesar Chavez Park Facelift”, 02/27/20
- Modesto Bee – “West Modesto will get its first skate park”, 01/21/21