Holiday Parade Rules
We expect everyone participating in the parade to know and abide by all parade rules. The person who signed the application is responsible for providing a copy of the rules and maps to all entry participants. Your signed application will be available to any person in your group who states they did not have access to the rules. To print out, view our Holiday Parade Rules (Printable PDF).
- Entries must be mailed to Tony Amaral, City of Modesto Parks, Recreation and Neighborhoods Department, P.O. Box 642, Modesto, CA 95353, or hand delivered to the Parks, Recreation and Neighborhoods Department office at 1010 10th Street, Suite 4400, by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, November 4th.
- All entries MUST have lights. The more lights that you have, the better your entry will look in the dark. Entries without lights will not be allowed to participate. There is NO EXCEPTION to this rule.
- Entries will be judged based on creativity, originality and the use of lights, music and “Dashing through the Decades” theme. We encourage your organizations banner displayed in front of your entry.
- Absolutely no Santa or Santa costumes will be allowed on any entry or your entry will be disqualified and unable to participate in parade. Santa will be rounding out the parade on the fire truck for all to see. (Hats are ok!)
- No entry may stop to perform at any point along the parade route. All float riders must stay on float at all times. Parade marshals along the route will monitor entries and violators will be disqualified from judging.
- NO Handouts. Candy/favors/handouts may not be thrown. Absolutely no item may be handed out. This is for the safety of everyone.
- Absolutely no alcoholic beverages will be allowed in the staging area or on any entries.
- There must be one adult supervisor for every ten children walking or riding on an entry.
- We expect everyone participating in the parade to know and abide by all parade rules. Please provide a copy of the rules and maps for all participants in your entry. The person who signed the entry form is responsible for this. We will make your signed application available to any person in your group who states they did not have access to the rules.
Float and Vehicles
- Entries may not exceed 8 standard vehicles and/or 75 feet in length and 20 feet in width. Your entry measurements and set-up specifics must be included on your entry application. Your entry may only have a total of 8 standard size vehicles and be within 75 feet in total length, unless special approval is given. Entries with large trucks, trailers, semis and semitrailers may not exceed 75 feet in total length unless multiple entries purchased. Multiple entries will need to be purchased if over 75 foot maximum. Entries may not exceed 20 feet in width (no exception or multiple entries available for purchase). If your entry exceeds 75 feet on the day of the parade or is wider than 20 feet, you will be asked to comply with registered total length or forfeit entry. Your participation may be jeopardized if your entry exceeds allotted space and/or does not comply with rules.
- All vehicles used for your entry must be in their assigned staging location in the staging area between 2:30-4 p.m. or your entry will be disqualified. Absolutely no vehicles will be allowed in after 4 p.m. This is for the safety of all, especially small children in the staging area. If there is a staging location that you prefer, please make that request on your application (please keep in mind there are no guarantees).
- You may not drop people off or park non-parade entry vehicles inside the staging area. Please inform all participants and parents/guardians of this rule and pre-determine a drop off/pick up location. Only vehicles that have been approved on the entry application and driving in the parade will be allowed in the designated staging areas.
- You will be provided with an entry number when you check in at the staging area on the day of the parade. This entry number must be on display in a visible location on the front left side of the vehicle or float.
- Designated staging area will be e-mailed to you the week of the parade. Please notify your parade participants and work out a before and after parade meeting location.
- Note: Entries will not have same set-up and tear-down location (You will NOT go back to original staging location)